Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Tasty and Makes My Tongue Sizzle - Sichuan House



My friend Adam Freedman, owner of Dunwoody PC, offered to take me out to lunch for my birthday yesterday. Well, it's been two and a half months since I turned 43, but hey, better late than never. I think I saw it on a fortune cookie once that although there is no such thing as a free lunch, you should never turn one down when a friend offers.


Years ago, when we worked together this usually meant a trip to a sushi buffet or, if we were going to be adventurous, an authentic Asian haunt on Buford Highway.

So, it was no small surprise when Adam let me know that he was in the mood for something Asian, but he had hit up a buffet last week - time for something new.

I suggested my new favorite Chinese restaurant Sichuan House at the corner of 141/Medlock Bridge and State Bridge Road. Since opening, I have been there a half dozen times. I told him it's the real stuff, and they have awesome hot and sour soup. Hook set, reeled in.

I like this place for a number of reasons:

  1. Unlike many of the chinese eateries in Norcross/Duluth/Alpharetta named LuckyChinaGoldenHappyFlower or something like that, this one always has Asians dining there. Instant credibility. Think about it: Would you feel more confident about a NY deli if every time you went there you heard that familiar, some think annoying, accent. Same goes for barbecue and fried chicken purveyors. I want to hear that southern twang. Shows me these places have passed muster. Same goes for Chinese food for me.
  2. I like that they have both a traditional exciting Chinese menu - in English - and an American Choice menu for the less ambitious. This way we can still go even though some in our party might want to go the safe (boring) route.
  3. The Spices! If you like to sweat while you eat they can bring the heat. I don't, Adam does. If you want to experience the tongue-numbing sensation of Sichaun peppercorn or other mouth watering flavors, they have it. They'll dial it up for you or tone it down. Just make sure to ask.
  4. The service is attentive, but not pushy or subservient. I've never felt rushed. But if you need to get in and out, they can do that, too.
  5. The price is right!

So, Yesterday here's what we ordered both from the traditional Chinese menu:

Me:

Hot and Sour Soup - Just the right amount of gloopiness and pepper flavor served hot
Ma Po Tofu - Wow! - tons of Sichuan Peppercorn, etc. I wore out the waiter asking for water. I should have asked for a pitcher for myself. Very tasty and a large portion. I just love the way each chopstickful - if that's a word - made my tongue sizzle, but not in a hot, fiery way. Did you ever touch your tongue to a 9 volt battery to see if it still had a charge? DO you remember the small charge a good battery gave you? Imagine that sensation with taste. That's Ma Po Tofu.

Oh, and the tofu was smooth, yet firm. It held up well in the bowl of sauce.

Fried Rice -Health wise, should have just gone with white rice. But hey, it was my Birthday lunch. Would have been better off with Brown rice, but they don't serve it.

Adam:

Same soup.

Kung Pao Diced Chicken. Loaded with hot peppers, it was probably too hot for my tastes. Adam said it was good, on par with the sort of places we have visited on Buford Highway. I think I saw some beads of perspiration on his forehead.

Next time, I think I'll go for the Shredded Dry Tofu Stir Fry with Leek or Mustard Green with Ground Pork. You don't see those on the LuckyChinaGoldenHappyFlower menus.

So, it was an enjoyable birthday lunch. I highly recommend you try Sichaun House. They don't know me from, well, Adam. So, no, this was not a paid review.

Just a short dining episode from my Life in the Corners.



No comments:

Post a Comment